Saturday 23 October 2010

In Memory Of

Tears flow freely as I struggle to recall your face
Your aging brown skin; glimpses of the Caribbean amongst your wrinkles
You were robust and homely, your embrace as inviting as the smells from your kitchen
Home cooked meals were your speciality.

I miss you, Nana.
Too young to know how truly blessed I was.
Your passing was five years ago and I grieve as if it were today.

As an adult I am unable to share so much of myself with you
I cannot tell you about the day He polished my spirit clean
I cannot ask what kept you praising His name during your darkest days,
For you are no longer here.

I miss the sound of your voice, Nana
I miss the gap in-between your teeth when you smiled.

If I could spend one day in Brixton Market with you, I would
To watch you size up the produce, as if you were valuing precious stones;
Your red and blue striped trolley I would wheel proudly.

You were strong, Nana.
And though you gave birth to my father, I see your reflection in my mother.
You were firm, Nana. But you doted on us.

Can we play the untuned piano again some day?
Can I help you place cherries on your almond cake again some day?
Can I share a pillow with you at night again some day?

I miss you Nana, and it hurts.
You are a vessel of love my children will never know.

© shellyhu



No comments:

Post a Comment